Friday, June 15, 2007

You Know What? I'm Okay With It.

This week's anti-Marvel kerfuffle is about the latest Marvel Zombies cover, featuring (I think) a hilarious parody of the Mary Jane #1 cover.


Zombietastic!

The point, from what I can tell, of Marvel Zombies covers, is that it takes iconic, easily recognizable covers and Zombifies them.

I think that's pretty great.

I also think it's pretty great that MJ gets one, especially based on her self-titled book.

I'm also okay with the fact that it's a parody of a children-aimed book. You know why? Because I worked in a comic book store when the source material came out, so I recognized it, and I got the joke. The book in question is about two years old. We don't need to "think of the children" anymore. Moreover, anyone who was in a comic book store during that time period will see and get the joke.

If we were dealing with a series where JUST Mary Jane (or any other female character) was depicted as a Zombie, it would be something else. But it's not. These covers wink at Marvel readers all over the spectrum.

I really disagree with the outrage this time, guys.

No comments: