Saturday, July 28, 2007

Not-Quite-Dead From Comic-Con!

Some late-night, plane-trip, walking-all-over-Christendom-and-back, -related creeping crud has gotten me. In the interest of fandom and comics, however, I press on.

This year's Con has been about the little things.

Seeing old friends, meeting artists I didn't realize would be here, meeting celebrities of varying strata, all of whom have been gracious and kind.

Oh, and the not-so-little event of watching my boyfriend win an Eisner.

It's been a good Con so far.

I confess, I was apprehensive about attending today, given the show was sold out. The crowds, however, seemed to stay in Hall H and Ballroom 20, packing in for The Next Big Panel all day long. The floor was crowded, but manageable.

I'm here in San Diego until Monday, and I hate that it's already gone by so fast. I still haven't been to the Zoo, and I'd like to hit In-N-Out burger, before heading back East.

But I am having a great time.

I'd like to pause the joy for a moment, however, to remember Leah Adezio, who I didn't realize had passed away until the "In Memoriam" portion of the Eisners.

Back ten years ago, when I started going to conventions (Big Apple Con in New York, to be precise, back then known as "Church Con"), Ms. Adezio had a table each show without fail. And each show, without fail, she had a kind word and a hello for a wide-eyed fourteen year old, learning her way around the con.

When her face came up on the screen last night, I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach. Leah Adezio was one of the few women I regularly saw at Church Con, but she was always the kindest, warmest, most welcoming presence there.

I will miss her, and always remember her fondly.

Sad tidings aside, I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekends, Staplers and Staplerettes!

Remember, if you're here, I've got pink hair and my Red Stapler tote bag! Please stop and say hi!

No comments: