Saturday, March 08, 2008

Echo!


Echo #1

Due to various life things, I haven't been to the comic book store in a couple of weeks. I know, I know, bad geek!

I was sure to go this week, however, because Terry Moore's new book, Echo, debuted!

I cannot wait to see where he goes with this story. It's so exciting to see him writing action/adventure after so many years of romance. (Although the I Dream of You arc and related storylines definitely fell under the "detective/shoot-em-up" category.)

The art is, as ever, crisp and evocative, and the writing is intelligent and well-paced.

Admittedly, the set-up of Julie Martin's life (lonely, not signing the divorce papers, debt, etc) is something we've seen before. However, I trust the "person with sucky life experiences extreme, fantastical life change" trope in Terry Moore's hands.

The character that jumped off the page for me was Park Ranger Dillon Murphy. He seems to be a different sort of male character than I've seen Moore write, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he does. (Though, Moore may have been flexing those muscles working on Spiderman Loves Mary Jane?)

In short, this is an exciting debut issue, and has set the stage for an exciting new comic.

1 comment:

Canajun Soapbox said...

I liked it, too. Freaky the way they kill off (or do they?) the woman in the jet suit at the beginning.

And issue 2 is out, and was good, too. I'm not sure why I picked up Echo at first, but I'm glad I did.